Here’s a little behind the scenes of the Butterfly Nursery I posted earlier this month.
I really wish I had taken the before picture from the same angle. Basically the bed was on the wall where the gold antler deer head is in the after picture. The room was a guest room, and it needed to be re-designed to be a nursery while still keeping the bed for guests. Luckily the room is really large, so having it function as both a guest room and nursery wasn’t a problem at all.
The inspiration came from a Christmas collection from West Elm. My client really liked the jewel toned butterflies. I was thinking we could spray a dresser emerald green, and that could function as a changing table. Then create a butterfly display overtop that would fill the entire corner of the room and reach over the crib and serve the function as a colorful mobile for baby. (now trying to describe that to my client, thats another story… luckily she’s also my friend so the words “trust me” really came into play)
I shared this photo on instagram of an amazing dresser I found on craigslist (actually there was two dressers, my client is standing by the taller one but they purchased both a tall and short dresser for $150… I was so jealous) My client wasn’t really a fan of vintage furniture, but she was on board. As a designer it’s so nice to work with a client who’s willing to let you create.
So off to get sprayed. I was originally going to lacquer the dresser but sometimes lacquers are hard to get the colors right when you are choosing a custom color, so I choose a new Benjamin Moore paint called Aura in a high gloss. The color is called Emerald Isle. I hired a professional to spray the dresser. Next came the installation. Using tons of the West Elm butterfly ornaments and curly willow branches I purchased at a wholesale florist, (you can get these at Micheal’s or any craft or floral shop) I just started to create the display. I wish I could give you a better description of how I did it, but I didn’t really have a plan going into it. I hung hooks on the ceiling to hang the branches from, and attached them to the wall with smaller hooks and fishing line. I also used hot glue to secure the branches to each other to get the shape I wanted. Then I just started clipping butterflies all over the branches. (the butterflies were for a Christmas tree so they had little clips on the back) I wanted it to be a large group of butterflies at the base of the branch and then the disperse out as the display extended over the crib.
After the display was complete, I needed to think of something that would complement the display and tie it into the dresser. I had seen these wire art words and thought about doing one saying “Once upon a time,” because the room was starting to feel fairy tale like. I purchased armature wire and bent it into the words. The armature wire was an alloy so it wouldn’t solder where I had to piece it together, so I just used JB weld (which is an epoxy or “cold weld”) Then I sprayed the wire art gold to complement the hardware on the dresser. Lastly I built and upholstered the cornice box above the window. My client already had a white blackout roman shade but the window felt a little naked. Because of the placement of the crib adding drapes wouldn’t have been functional so I just built a simple cornice box and upholstered it in a colorful ikat.
The room was a lot of fun to create, and just to put things into perspective. My client contacted me around the beginning of December to create the room, and baby arrived in the beginning of January. So the room wasn’t 100% complete before her arrival but it all came together 🙂